"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Racing the Moon

With the advantage of of such luminosity
I am surprised when he falls behind
flickering like an old news reel
he must be swifter than I suspected
or perhaps he is more fallible than he lets on
he bobbles and falls from view
tripping over tangled tree limb laces
and I begin to believe that I might win
so I dig deep and press into my lead
lungs burning, tears flying from my eyes
the world blurs with the promise of victory
but when I round the next bend
he has somehow risen far ahead
titling now he sizes me up
and giving a nod of respect
he slows enough to let me gain
until soon we are in a dead heat
side by side we swim through the night
united by the fierce and simple love
of speed and wind and breath and sky

No comments:

Post a Comment