"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The blessing is with you now

"The blessing is with you now"
was written on the rectangle
of flimsy yellow paper
that the kid handed me
through the window of my car
after I gave him a crisp bill
while waiting at the stoplight

I took it to mean I would sell my project
at the meeting I was on my way to
as if my twenty dollar offering
on a street corner in Beverly Hills
to three black kids with cardboard signs
about their dad being out of work
was enough to buy prosperity
because surely to be blessed
means to be successful

But at the meeting they weren't buying
and in the wake of the ashes of my effort
my mind goes back to that
coupon for a blessing
and I realized I was trying to cash in
that blessing, as if it were redeemable
like a check I could deposit
at a bank during business hours
or maybe I could use it like food stamps
and exchange it for some processed cheese

as if I could turn a verb into a noun

How often have I tried to buy my happiness
not understanding that a blessing
isn't a bottle of spring water
to be grasped and gulped
but the spring itself

2 comments:

  1. This is one of your best. For sure. A blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "as if I could turn a verb into a noun" is poignant. This poem is a really meaningful blessing of its own.

    ReplyDelete