"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Parasite

How did the malaise
get in this time
I double bolted the locks
shut the windows
turned the Welcome mat face down
put a Go Home sign on the door
turned off the porch lights
and yet here it is
didn't even bother to knock
this radon of the soul
seeping in through the walls
unseen unknown unwanted
I keep looking online
for a malaise trapping system
something that hooks up to the sump
to pump the invisible intruder
back out into the cold
but it hasn't been invented yet
so the paralyzing parasite
keeps draining my heat
and sucking my energy
I wish I could burn it off with a match
suffocate it with nail polish remover
twist it counterclockwise
and pull the head out of my heart

1 comment: