"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Prisoner of Hollywood

The parking meter makes a face at me
judging me for hiding in a parked car
on a side street in Hollywood
Don't you see
all the pretty young things
in boots and cool jackets
crossing the street to meet friends
they are having fun
why can't you
It chides me while I retreat
feeling weak as rice paper
as everywhere I look magnifies
my puny state
the iron gate around the parking lot
the bouncer under the red light of a club
menacing in his mass
the bright neon sign that reads "WELL"
mocking me with it's inanimate health
the concrete
the buildings
the asphalt
the SUV's
all bragging of their strength
while a helicopter circles overhead
and suddenly I feel the spotlight upon me
the escaped prisoner
but they can not drag me back in
I am free now
free to be weak
in this place where strength rules
I will wear my softness as a shield

1 comment: