"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Neighbor Boys

"I'll spray him with the hose
and you watch
he'll be meaner than ever!"
I hear the neighbor boys plot

"He'll hiss and run away
like a dumb dumb --
I'll spray and you watch
how fast that mean old cat
will waddle!"

They don't know
that the "dumb dumb"
sensed there was mischief afoot
and now sits sweet and happy
purring beneath the safety
of my office chair

How often have neighbor boys
mistaken fear for meanness?

As often as we adults I suspect

Turning our hoses on full blast
and feeling arrogantly vindicated
when our preemptive strike
is met with howl and hiss

It is a wonder the whole world
is not soaked to the bone

No comments:

Post a Comment