"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

11:11

I used to hoard wishes
like a starving child hoards crumbs 
cast off as detritus by others
but precious nourishment to her
No one I knew put much stock
into pennies tossed in fountains
but I would wait and watch
the copper sink to the bottom
planted like a lotus seed 
beneath the gurgling waters
I was the only adult in the neighborhood
who harvested dandelions 
and blew with reckless abandon
(the casualty of an imperfect lawn
well worth the wind-scattered wishes)
A full-grown woman
who counted fallen eyelashes
as a precious treasure
and clocks blinking 11:11
as heralds of a Magic Time
birthday candles were serious business
not just some yearly photo-op
made more difficult as years increased
and lung capacity declined
Partygoers would teasingly ask
"What did you wish?"
I would smile and coyly respond
"If I tell it won't come true!"
Thinking it was a joke, they would laugh
not knowing I held a desperate hope in my heart
And in all of those years
I never dared speak the secret
that I am finally free to proclaim:
Every weed and smoldering candle
every eyelash and sunken penny
represented just One Wish
that came true 
the moment I met You

No comments:

Post a Comment