"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Breathing lessons

My yoga instructor
breathes in and out
with the sound of a
rushing Colorado river

when she nods to me
I inhale and exhale
like an elderly man
with a prostate problem

she tells me that I am
holding my breath
that I must let it
flow freely

I try, but it makes me dizzy
and soon I have forgotten
how to breathe entirely
I fear I might drown

with her hand on my stomach
she tells me to breathe
with my diaphragm
not my nose

which makes no sense to me

suddenly I am an alien
with a malfunctioning respirator
and earth's atmosphere
threatens to crush me

could there be anything more
elementary than breathing

it is the first thing we do
when we enter this world
and the last thing we do
when we leave it

and yet here I am
stuck in between
trying so hard
to get it right

as if taking a breath
were like taking a class
and respiring
the newest Olympic event

how do I become a babe again

like before the storms came
and taught me to hold my breath
to survive the unexpected waves
that forced me underwater

tossed me like a stray sock
in a washing machine

I learned to gasp
when I had the chance
quick sharp breaths
for long hard times

and so air has become
a commodity for me
and I am a miser
holding on for dear life

feeling like I am keeping it
when really it is keeping me
the only way to be free
is to be generous

and in letting go, I am inspired

2 comments:

  1. I just had to gulp in a few deep breaths! It's a tricky thing, breathing. The more we think about it the less natural it feels. But practice makes perfect and when push comes to shove, our bodies will tell our brains to shut up and just get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In church one day the minister was talking about how God's name in Hebrew (YHVH) cannot be pronounced, but it can be breathed. God's most ancient name... breath

    ReplyDelete