"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Losing battle

Winter won't go down without a fight
death, it turns out, has quite an ego
like one of those self-important types
who has to have the last word

as if there is ever a last word

what a blow it is to discover
one's impermanence

and so it rages while it can
clawing the sky, spitting with fury
at the troops of buds advancing
with the battle cry of singing birds

desperately it tries to defend its reign
declaring war on the world
and foolishly spending
all of its resources

on a losing battle

too blustery to understand
that death is no match
for Life

3 comments:

  1. Great! Why didn't you send this to me? My favorite line is "Battle cry of singing birds"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because yours was so much better! Plus, I thought it would be fun for you to discover it here:)

    ReplyDelete