"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The loon

The loon ducks beneath the waves
then bobs back to the surface
reminiscent of an orange ball
on a kid's fishing line
but he hasn't got the advantage
of bologna and cheese on a hook
so he keeps ducking and bobbing
ducking and bobbing
until a rough set rolls in
and he disappears from view
I hold my breath
as if it's a competition
like when we took turns
being timed at the bottom
of Penny's pool
this crazy bird would have beat us all
with his satisfied expression
looking very much like dad's
after he's gotten his money's worth
at the Hometown buffet
and having eaten his fill
the bird turns and swims out to sea
curved and black against the sun
a shadowy Loch Ness monster
in a blurry photograph

No comments:

Post a Comment