"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Red Cups

I was always the girl at parties
holding the same red cup all night
uncomfortable as a sunburn under denim
watching the Munchian faces scream-laugh
at some joke I could never understand
feeling all the more outside for not wanting to

Who are all of these people?
Did their dads ever tie dental floss
around their loose teeth and slam the door?
Have they ever cried over
the bare bones of a bird in the woods?
Would they hold their breath
to hear the gentle breeze better?

How I wish I could dump out
this warm waxy brew sitting stagnate
in my super-sized red plastic Solo
and fill it with cool soft mountain water
how the hint of ancient earth thrills my tongue
how just the thought of it quenches my soul
in the barren desert of this over-full house

No comments:

Post a Comment