"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Friday, May 20, 2011

Saturday Date Night

I remember sitting on the toilet
fleece covered feet kicking the air
watching you in the mirror
slick tube of color pressed
against your lips
worn flat with the precision
of your careful application
then the snappy sound
of the eyeshadow case closing
and the sweet smell of powder
followed by the danger
of the jagged black wand
you held so close
to your soft blue eyes
that we held our breath together
the tension broken by the clang of bangles
as you reached for your best purse
with the shiny A emblazoned
on the wine colored leather
you called it burgundy
and it sounded like some exotic language
that only fancy ladies knew
how I hoped to earn the right
to say it myself some day
and finally we came to
the crowning moment in reverse
as you slipped on those high heels
with the elegant curve of wood
beneath your slender arches
and the thin strip of nude leather
across your toes and nothing else
so the sole slapped your heels
when you walked out of the room
forever the sound of womanhood to me
and I could not wait
to grow as glamorous as you

No comments:

Post a Comment