"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Monday, August 6, 2012

Weedwhackers and Wordsworth

I note a cloud regatta overhead
the white sails unfurled
in a fast flowing breeze
and can't help but think to myself
Wordsworth would have put it better
of course he didn't have to contend with 
the metallic buzz of his neighbor's weedwhacker
I wonder what the solitude of sitting
high above Tintern Abbey must've been like
before diesel powered leaf blowers 
outdoor power saws and riding lawn mowers
before the noise of type-written words
hurdling through space in every direction
before the neurotic itch to check Twitter 
every thirty seconds was acquired
If only I could rip the fabric of time
like a well-worn pair of jeans
I'd climb through the soft tendrils of cotton
back to those Wexford county hills
where I could devolve into the silence
broken only by a jocund chorus of daffodils