"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Friday, February 25, 2011

Cartwheels at Stonhenge

I can not help but turn cartwheels
in front of the ancient pillars
of The Great Stone Henge
the magic of the place
raises the hairs on the back of my hand
and I must express the thrill somehow
so I leap and twirl and press my hands
onto the sacred turf
while the sheep bleat in a nearby field
as they have for generations
I find that the wind is different here
alive and spritely
making sure with a flicker of mischief
that your hair will not lie flat for pictures
no matter how many tries you take
I breathe in the smell of
moss and rock weathered by
innumerable raindrops
as the earth and grass is trampled beneath
great snakes of humanity
in multicolored windbreakers
winding round and round
each having their own experience
on this once communal ground
what would happen if we put down our cameras
and black plastic audio wands
what if we joined hands as was intended
in the beginning
what if we noticed one another
maybe then we would understand the mystery
that the sheep already know

4 comments:

  1. The perfect embodiment of that day :) I think I'll go find those pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cue Twilight Zone music b/c this is what I read in my book the moment after I left your blog:

    "As the sun edged its way above the horizon, the line of women began to move,
    walking slowly between two of the stones. The leader took them directly to the
    center of the circle, and led them round and round, still moving slowly, stately
    as swans in a circular procession."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there many years ago and this brought me right back

    ReplyDelete