"Poems are forever floating through my mind and if I don't catch them pin them to the page they are gone forever and what good is that?"
~ My journal (age 14)

Friday, February 25, 2011

Me and Mary

I sit alone on Christmas Eve
a blanket over my knees
plain bread stick in my hand
the nausea set in
before we even left for the restaurant
an hour more on the hump
in the backseat didn't help
I stand in the bathroom
patting my face with cold water
begging my body to give me a break
it's Christmas Eve for heaven's sake
and my husband and his family
have all been sat at a table
near the window
for a celebratory meal
before anyone can order
I excuse myself to the car
fighting the putrid waves in my stomach
and the tears in my throat
the anxiety creeping in
doesn't know it's not welcome
especially not on holidays
but as I sit in the sedan
nibbling Italian bread
I notice the lights
on the old fashioned lampposts
they are rooting for me
and the glowing star
atop a tree near the stop sign
winks at me
everyone has off days
the storefronts assure me
no matter how many "special" signs
you post in the window
sometimes people just aren't buying
and sometimes the body
just wants a day off
from the Christmas spirit
I suppose Mary must've felt
pretty darn overwhelmed
with all of those people
cramming the streets and hotels
I imagine her waking along this main street
pointing out the mattress store to Joseph
maybe we can sleep here
it's closed but the beds look so inviting
I want to tell her she can sit
in the bucket seat beside me
I have some extra bread
and even an old blanket in the trunk
my Papa always said you never know
when you might need
an extra blanket in the car
I smile right now, finally reaping
the reward of his wisdom
Me and Mary
away from the crowd
just a couple of girls
far from home
hoping Christmas will come soon

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fresh take on Mary's humanity (and yours)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sending you a funny email while you were out in the car and you saying that my timing was perfect....great take on that evening.

    Aunt Char

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh.... I like the feel of this blog. Very homey, like I need a cup of tea and a cozy chair :)

    I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better. If only it was as easy as a healing kiss to a scraped knee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Aunt Char, I remember that:) Thanks! And thank you Lisa for the sweet comment...nothing better than those magic mom kisses.
    I loved designing this blog...it matches my office and it makes me happy, glad you like it too:)

    ReplyDelete